EASTER MORNING SERVICE

My First Time in Grace Cathedral

After a walk along the sea front and a celebratory breakfast, my next mission was to find Grace Cathedral. I got on a bus and talked with the driver the whole journey. We got round to talking about Easter. He was Russian and used to celebrating Easter on a different day. As I got off, he gave me something and said 'Happy Easter". He'd printed me a ticket that was valid on all buses all day! It came in very useful and saved me a lot of money in the afternoon.


Got to Grace Cathedral early so looked around the gift shop then checked out the view from the park opposite. The service started at 11am but it was already quite packed when I went in at 10:30. I was about to sit down near the back of the cathedral then decided I wasn't the sort of person to sit down at the back when I hadn't explored the odd chance of a better seat near the front. I found such a seat on one of the side flanks that had a perfect view of the altar and pulpit!


The service was AMAZING!!! The cathedral was absolutely packed, the bishop presided, the dean preached, a choir sang (haven't heard choir boys for months!) and a brass band and timpani accompanied the music. I think the service was recorded on the internet. I'll never forget it! The only person I saw there that I knew was one of my instructors who was part of the altar party. There was a party in the park opposite when the service had ended. I went for a while then headed back to the beach I'd been at earlier.

Sneaky photos from my seat!