MAUNDY THURSDAY EVENING

My Favourite Service of the Year (I Think)

Had spent the day describing how you can do a Eucharist sat around a table and incorporate a meal. Most of my friends hadn't heard of that. They's known a supper and a Eucharist done separately or just a Eucharist on Maundy Thursday. I was excited that St Mark's was doing a combined Eucharist-Supper like I'm accustomed to my Dad doing and I was excited that some of my friends would get to experience it.

The service was lovely, especially the bits when the choir sang. Jim (a priest in the area who has done TONS for the church in the form of media and art - I think the supper was his idea) offered reflections at different points of the service. We had an optional foot washing with two foot washing stations too. The service ended in the church (we'd been upstairs in the parish hall before - there are dozens of rooms in the church - I get confused and lost!). The stripping of the altar ended with the three cassocked clergy dusting every part of the front of the church for about 10mins while the choir sang in the background. That was the only part I didn't understand. Overall it was a lovely evening and I had the pleasure of sitting between a new CDSP student who's become a good friend (John) on one side and members of the choir on the other.

St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Berkeley

(The church I keep doing a lot at!)