MY FIRST EXPERIENCE
Went to my first Tenebrae service last Wednesday. Chose to go to the very Anglo-Catholic Episcopal Church in San Francisco (Church of the Advent of Christ the King). Invited my Roman Catholic friend, Tammy, to come with me. We managed to get a lift to the BART station (Tammy's wheelchair just about fitted in Deborah's car) then we took BART into SF. Tammy map-read while I pushed and we managed to find the church about 6 blocks from the station. I liked the service over-all, though when the pauses inbetween lines of psalms are particularly long, the service gets longer than anticipated. Liz, the youngest female 'ordinand' at CDSP if you don't count me, does her placement at that church. She was the one extinguishing the candles and hiding behind the altar at the end! Thankfully we got a lift the whole way back (across the Bay Bridge) otherwise I don't know what Tammy and I would have done. The hill up to CDSP would be too steep for Tammy and my combined efforts! I like "Advent". It's right on the street - very 'down to earth' and very 'high church' at the same time. Love that kind of church.